Biscuit Confessions: Will Alex Ovechkin beat Wayne Gretzky’s record?
We asked over 7,500 people in the United States if Alex Ovechkin will beat Wayne Gretzky’s record and over 90% said yes. There is a lot of confidence that Ovechkin will score the 70 goals he needs to beat Gretzky’s record possibly in the next season. We will be tuning in to see!
History of NHL Goals Scored
The history of NHL goals scored is a rich and storied one, with numerous players leaving their mark on the league’s record books. Here are some key milestones and notable players in the history of NHL goals scored:
- Wayne Gretzky: Widely regarded as the greatest hockey player of all time, Wayne Gretzky holds the NHL record for most goals scored in a career with 894. He achieved this feat during his illustrious career, primarily with the Edmonton Oilers and later with the Los Angeles Kings, New York Rangers, and St. Louis Blues.
- Alex Ovechkin: Alex Ovechkin ranks second on the all-time goals list with over 800 goals. He has consistently been one of the top goal scorers in the NHL throughout his career with the Washington Capitals.
- Gordie Howe: Another legendary player, Gordie Howe, ranks second on the all-time goals list with 801. Known as “Mr. Hockey,” Howe played for the Detroit Red Wings and the Hartford Whalers during his NHL career.
- Brett Hull: Brett Hull, the son of Bobby Hull, is third on the all-time goals list with 741. Hull played for several teams, including the Calgary Flames, St. Louis Blues, Dallas Stars, Detroit Red Wings, and Phoenix Coyotes.
- Jaromir Jagr: Jaromir Jagr is one of the most prolific goal scorers in NHL history. He ranks third in career points and is fourth on the all-time goals list with 766. Jagr played for various teams throughout his career, including the Pittsburgh Penguins, Washington Capitals, New York Rangers, and Philadelphia Flyers.
- Maurice Richard: Maurice “Rocket” Richard was one of the game’s early superstars and the first player to score 50 goals in a single season. He finished his career with 544 goals, which was a record at the time.
- Mike Bossy: Mike Bossy, a member of the New York Islanders dynasty in the 1980s, scored 573 goals in just ten NHL seasons before retiring due to a back injury. He had an incredible scoring touch and won the Stanley Cup four times with the Islanders.
These are just a few examples of the many players who have made significant contributions to the history of NHL goals scored. The list continues with numerous other players who have left a lasting impact on the game and its scoring records.